Monday, November 8, 2010

Be Thankful

  (Photo ©Mark Faulkner 2010)

Being content and thankful, no matter what our current circumstances may be, is one of the secrets to a joy-filled life.

I've been unemployed for the last couple of months, and it has been very difficult at times to try and stay active and be content within my circumstance.  For men especially, part of our self-identity is being useful and working, so as to be a provider for our family.  When our ability to do that is hindered, it tends to mess with a guy's mind a little bit.

Okay, maybe it messes with my mind a lot.

Fortunately, my wife has been amazingly supportive during this challenging seasonencouraging me to enjoy some time off and get out in the beautiful fall weather and remain active and just enjoy this season.  Without her love and encouragement it would be much more difficult for me.

Looking back over these last two months, I am very thankful today that I am going through this difficult season of unemployment.  When I was working and the cash flow was good and consistent, everything in my life seemed to be clicking pretty well, and I had grown complacent in my relationship with God.  Although I didn't consciously decide to do so, I had set my relationship with Christ off to one side and just basked in the blessings of a good life.

I smile as I am reminded this morning of a street sign that is a couple of blocks from our home which reads, "Bumps Ahead."

Without this little 'bump' of losing my job, I would likely have continued on in my complacent relationship with Christ. But this challenging season of feeling not very useful as a man has only driven me to draw near to God, and He in turn has drawn near to me, as His word says He will.

"Draw near to God and He will draw near to you."  (James 4:8)

Intimacy in our relationship with God is the true blessing.

But as I continue to experience, the temporary blessings of this life are subject to change without notice. 

Sometimes God chooses to provide the job, heal the marriage and cure the cancer.  And sometimes He chooses not to do what we ask of Him. Perhaps there is a greater lesson that He wants us to learn?

I've stopped trying to figure out the reasons why God does or does not answer "yes" to all our requests, and just trust Him in all situationsno matter what.

So, I am very thankful today for all things in my life.  For my current season of unemployment, for my wonderful marriage to my wife, for my children, for my family and friends, and most of all for my loving Savior Jesuswho knows what I need much more than I know what I need.

Because He is who I need the most.

When I had my job I was doing well financially, but spiritually I was drying up.  I was becoming critical of other people and was complaining about the imperfections of my life.  I was not being thankful. And because of it I was growing increasingly unhappy with my life.

We can all make a list of problems and of things that are not going well in this life. Some of us can make longer lists than others.

But if we are honest about it and we look beyond the self-focus of our current, difficult circumstances, and we sat down and made a list of everything in this life that we have to be thankful for, that list would be miles longer than our problems list.

Try it!   And then give thanks for everything in your life.

Thank the Lord for all things. Praise Him and tell Him just how much you love and appreciate Him.

And then thank the people that God has placed in your life and tell them just how much you love and appreciate them.

Making the choice to be thankful will absolutely change your entire outlook on life. 

Your circumstances may or may not change. But we have so much to be thankful for, regardless.


Be thankful!


God is Love and Love Never Fails.





No comments:

Post a Comment