Thursday, November 25, 2010

Give Thanks

    Photo (c)Mark Faulkner 2010

It's been an amazing year...

And I want to take this opportunity to give thanks to God for all things.

My wife and I celebrated 27 years together this year.  I could never have imagined having a wife who would be such a blessing to me as she has been, and is today. Lord, help me to walk worthy of such an amazing blessing and responsibility.

As I have watched my children grow up, I have come to realize what an amazing blessing children truly are, and I am thankful for my daughter and my son. I love them so much and want to be a better dad to them.

This year, more than any other time, I have been reminded of what a great family I have, and I love my three brothers and my sister. I haven't been a very good brother to them but I want to be a better brother go forward.

I am thankful for the amazing friends that God has brought into my lifesome decades ago, some more recently, and some just this year. The family of God is a priceless treasure, and is a family that we will be a part of for eternity. One friend refers to the brotherhood that we all share as a Band of Brothers.  We are in the foxhole of life together, and I am so thankful that I have brothers who are true friends who watch my back, and who would literally take a bullet for meand I for them.

2010 has been an incredible year of fly fishing.  I have been blessed to have caught more big trout this year than in all other years combined.  I owe a large part of that to some local experts that I have met and have gleaned bits and pieces of their expertise. I am thankful for the growing friendships I have with these guys.

Due largely to catching all those huge trout, I developed a bad case of tendonitis ('trout elbow') and to this day, it is getting worse, even chronic at times.  I am thankful though for this, as it is a constant reminder of the many amazing fishing trips I had with good friends, and also for the reminder that this life is short, and a new bodyfree of all painis coming soon!  

Yee Ha! 

I lost my job this year.  I was there for almost 7 years, and had made a good income, learned some new skills, and met some really great people. Made plenty of mistakes too, and hopefully, learned from those mistakes.  Had some great successes and victories also!. I am thankful for having had a good job for so many years, and am now even more thankful to have been 'moved on.'  I'm looking forward to the next season of employment.

In fact one of my friends who was a former client encouraged me to start a blog.  And I am thankful that God used him to help me get my thinking out of the box and he challenged me, asking, "What do you love to do?"  This is why I started this blogbecause what I really love to do is to help people, with their marriages and with life.

I'm also extremely thankful for this season of being unemployed, because God has used this difficult season to draw me closer to Himself.  He has shown me that when I had a job and everything was going so well, I had actually become very complacent in my relationship with Him, and I had basically left my First Love.  Thank You Lord for drawing me back to You.  I desire to keep You first in my heart always.  Thank You for loving me and for saving me.

Today, we will be spending Thanksgiving with my brothers and their families.  We haven't been able to do this for a few years and I am so thankful to have this time to spend with my family.

Doggone it, I feel like George Bailey today! 

Even though I'm unemployed, because of all the blessings in my lifenamely my Lord and my amazing family and friendsI truly am the richest man in town! 

It really is a wonderful life!   And I wouldn't trade it for anything... all the good and the bad things I have gone through have ultimately brought me to the place that I am today. God has, as He has promised, caused all things to work together for good, for those who love Him and are called according to His purpose.

Thank You Lord for all thingsand especially for You Lord, I give thanks!


God is Love and Love Never Fails.


No comments:

Post a Comment