Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Learning To Be Content



















Photo ©Mark Faulkner 2010


I feel like I am finally beginning to learn how to be contentno matter what my circumstances are.

And that has come about mostly, by not examining my life under a microscope, cataloging and dissecting every little issue or difficulty that I have.  But rather, by trying to view life from 10,000 feet up and have an eternal perspective on things.

This life is short and the present suffering and challenges that we face are only temporary.

Praise God for that.

The second reason I am learning to be content, is that no matter how difficult my situation is, I continually meet people who are going through stuff that makes my minor afflictions look like nothing.  It really changes my perspective when I see people who are suffering severelygoing through some seriously deep water in their lives.

My heart goes out to you.

Another thing that I have learned through this refining journey is that it is so easy to give quick words of advice and encouragement..."Just hang in there brother!" to someone who is struggling when everything in my life is going well.  But when I am going through  my stuff and someone tries to do the same for me, I sometimes get irritated inside. 

I know.  Just like I was, they are only trying to help, and to be encouraging.

But what this has taught me is that I need to be very sensitive in what I say and how I say it to people when they are going through hard times. I can (and inadvertently have) come across as being pretty insensitive at times, even though I was just trying to help and be encouraging.

I'm reminded of an account given in the book of Job (see Job 2:11-13), after he had lost all of his children, his house and possessions, and three of his friends came to comfort him and to sympathize with him.  For an entire week, they did nothing but sit with him, uttering not a word.

And they should have just kept silent. 

But as is seen in reading the rest of the story, then Job's 'friends' began to criticize him and tell him that all this calamity that had come upon him was his fault. 

Some friends they were.

Even well-meaning friends can inadvertently hurt or offend someone when we too quickly hurl pat answers and cliches at people, failing to be sensitive to their pain.  Sure, what we say may very well be the correct answer to their issue.  But how we say it, and the timing with which we deliver the message is crucial. 

We have to be sensitive.

Sometimes just coming alongside someone who is hurting, offering a listening, understanding ear, can go a long way in helping someone get through a difficult time. People need our empathy--being sensitive and understanding.   They don't need our sympathy"I know just how you feel." 

No, you don't "know just how they feel."    Sometimes it's better to just remain silent.

Part of learning to be content is to realize that many other people have it way worse than we do, and then to come alongside others who are hurting and just be there for them. Offer plenty love and understanding, and go easy on giving out any advice.

And again, for those who follow Christ, our suffering in this life is only temporary.   

I pray that Paul's words in 2 Corinthians 4:16-18 will be of encouragement to you today...

"Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day.  For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory,  while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal."

One day there will be no more sorrow, or pain, tears or death.

But until that day comes, be encouraged that God comforts us in all of our troubles so that we may be able to comfort others in their troubles... (2 Corinthians 1:3-4)

"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God."

Our present suffering is not in vain.

Be content that God sees your affliction and that He causes all things to work together for good for those who Love Him and are called according to His purpose.


Glory awaits!



God is Love and Love Never Fails.




No comments:

Post a Comment