Tuesday, March 6, 2012

A Double-Minded Man

"A double-minded man is unstable in all of his ways."

I read an article about double-mindedness this morning that basically stated: "being double-minded means you can't make a decision." 

And while that may at times be true, the inabilityor more accuratelythe refusal to make a decision, is only a symptom of being double-minded.

But what is the root of the problem?

Look at the photo of the snake above. It's a two-headed monster. One head wants to go south, while the other wants to go north, or, just stay where it's at. 

Two minds opposed to one another, always competing against each other.

That's being double-minded.

The apostle James writes:

"Consider it all as joy my brothers, when you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord, for he is a double-minded manunstable in all of his ways." (James 1:2-8)

That's a very exposing and painful diagnosis of a double-minded man.  "Unstable in all of his ways."

I once heard an old pastor say: 

"Being double-minded is like being stuck straddling a barbed wire fenceone foot in the kingdom and one foot in the world."

That says it all.

When we surrender our lives to Christ, we have to be all-in.  We're either all-in the kingdom of God, or we're all-in the kingdom of this fallen world.

A double-minded man (or woman) is easily known by the fruit of their life. They are never happy or content with the situations in their life. Rarely, if ever, are they thankful for what they do have. Always murmuring and complaining, saying things like: "My job sucks!"  "I hate the teaching at this church!"  "Why don't they play the songs that I like!"  Etc, etc.

Never content with anything.

Further evidence of a double-minded person is they have little to no discipline or self-control. They don't take care of themselves. They secretly succumb to every lust or fleshly appetite. They claim to be a Christian but still live a totally worldly lifestyle. They can't manage their money. They are always late to work, school or church.  They wait until the last minute to do anything, and then do only the minimum required to get by. They talk a good game, but never follow through and actually take any action to do what they say.

Does any of this sound familiar?

Picture a big gold-plated throne. Now picture a person sitting on it.  And all around the foot of the throne, they have neatly arranged all the aspects of their life. Their job, their relationships or marriage, their money, their hobbies, their TV/entertainment time, their spiritual/church life, their responsibilities, and, oh yeah, God is placed around there somewherewhen (or if) they have time for Him.

This is the reality of the lives of many people who call themselves "christian."  

I am personally convicted by the still small voice of the Holy Spirit this morning, who is reminding me of God's Word which says:

"Do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own?  For you were bought with a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God's." (1 Corinthians 6:19-20)

It's 2:15 AM, and in my self-examination this morning, before God, I have to ask myself:  "Have I truly come down off the throne of my life, and surrendered all of my heart, mind and will to God?"

"Search me O' God and know my heart; try me and know my anxieties; and see if there is any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting." (Psalm 139:23-24)

So I ask you today what I ask myself:  are you all-in?

My prayer is:

"Lord Jesus, I ask for Your forgiveness for all of the areas of my life that I have not surrendered to You, and I invite You once again to take the rightful place of Your Glory on the throne of my heart. May my life and body be a pleasing sacrifice to You.  I give it to You freely. I'm all-in.  Please give me the strength to do the things that I need to do and not just talk about them. In Your name I pray and give thanks."  

-Amen.

God is Love, and Love Never Fails.

No comments:

Post a Comment