Sunday, June 9, 2013

What is God's will for my life?

“But share with me in the sufferings for the gospel according to the power of God, who has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was given to us in Christ Jesus before time began.” (2 Timothy 1:9)

How many times have you asked God,

"What is Your will for my life?"

If you're like me, it's been many, many times, throughout this life of following Christ.

"What is my purpose?"  "Why am I here?"  "What is my calling?"  "How will I know?"

One thing I've learned after many years of seeking God on this, is that my purpose for being on this earth was not to become a spiritual "naval gazer."

So many of the "Christian" books I have read over the last several years have been focused on self; "how can I have a better life?" "How can I have better relationships?"  "How can I....?"

"It's all about me."

The pastor of our church calls this, "The self-idolatry of self-absorption."

It's spiritual naval gazing. Self-focus. And it's a recipe for depression, unhappiness, and a fruitless life.

An inherent danger of having been a Christian for many years, having read through the Bible many times, and going to Bible studies for years, is the temptation to reason within yourself; "I've already read that book and chapter several times before, I don't need to keep reading it over and over. I want something 'new' to read."

And then you can easily begin to slip into a process of reading many books, some of them very good, but then you get to the point where you're reading everything but the Bible.

And as I've discovered, as good as some of these books may appear to be at first, the subtle focus is on self. "How can I have...?"

The apostle Paul brings the focus back to God and His purpose:

“But share with me in the sufferings for the gospel according to the power of God, who has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was given to us in Christ Jesus before time began.” (2 Timothy 1:9)

It's all about HimHis power, His works, His purpose, His grace; a holy calling in Jesus Christ.

Why did Jesus Christ come?

His Hebrew name, "Yeshua" means; "God is salvation." 

When an angel spoke to Joseph, about the divine Child to be born to his young virgin wife, he said:

“And she will bring forth a Son, and you shall call His name Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins.” (Matthew 1:21)

Jesus' purpose for stepping out of eternity, into our fallen little world, was to save us sinners from our sins.

Many people, including me, have been captivated by Jesus saying, "I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly." (John 10:10)

And so, for years I have been on a quest to experience this "more abundant life" that Jesus spoke of.

But Jesus also said; "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life." (John 14:6)

Jesus did not say, "I will show you the way to have a more abundant life." No. He said, "I AM the Way, the Truth and the Life."

Jesus came that we may have Him, and Him more abundantly. He IS the Life. He is not a way of finding blessed living. He is Life, and life eternal.

Eternal life is not a place. It's not Heaven. Eternal Life is knowing God in and through Jesus Christ. 

“And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent.” (John 17:3)

We place so much focus on finding and obtaining the happy Christian life. Financial blessings. A great marriage and family. A good job. A nice house. Peace. Security. Happiness. 

But how much focus and passion do we place on knowing and experiencing Jesus Himself?

So what is this "holy calling" that Paul speaks of in 1 Timothy 1:9?

Knowing Jesus and making Him known.

“But what things were gain to me, these I have counted loss for Christ. Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith; that I may know Him…” (Philippians 3:7-10)

Eternal Life is Jesus. And Jesus is God.

“For unto us a Child is born, unto us a Son is given; and the government will be upon His shoulder. And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, the Mighty God, the Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.” (Isaiah 9:6)

Jesus came that we may have Him. And He is all that we need. Nothing else can satisfy. Nothing else can bring life. In His presence is fullness of joy. Yeshua—"God is salvation."

Jesus is Life, and Life more abundantly. And He came to save us from our sins so that we can be reconciled to Him. 

That we may know Himthe Way, the Truth and the Life.


God is Love and Love Never Fails.


No comments:

Post a Comment