Friday, June 7, 2013

The Lukewarm Church

“These things says the Amen, the Faithful and True Witness, the Beginning of the creation of God: “I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot. So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth. Because you say, ‘I am rich, have become wealthy, and have need of nothing’—and do not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked—I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire, that you may be rich; and white garments, that you may be clothed, that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed; and anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you may see. As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten. Therefore be zealous and repent.” (Revelation 3:14-19)

Have you ever heard the story of the Frog in the Kettle? 

It's been said, that if you put mister frog in a pot of lukewarm water and then turn the heat up, he gets so comfortable in the gradually warming water, that it lures him into a false sense of security. And by the time the water begins to reach the boiling point, it's too late for mister frog, because he is too lethargic to jump out.

In my opinion, this is where much of Christianity in America is today. Lethargic, lukewarm, lured into a false sense of security, not seeing or discerning that the proverbial 'pot' is quickly reaching the boiling point. 

Compared to the rest of the world, most believers have it pretty good here in prosperous America. Good job. Happy family. Plenty of cash flow. Summer house on the lake. Jet skis. "We're fine. God is blessing us. We have need of nothing!"

But what did Jesus say to the Lukewarm Church in Revelation chapter 3?

"Because you say, ‘I am rich, have become wealthy, and have need of nothing’—and do not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked—I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire, that you may be rich; and white garments, that you may be clothed, that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed; and anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you may see. As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten. Therefore be zealous and repent.” 

"Be zealous and repent."

Repent of what?

Spiritual apathy for starters.

Why are we as followers of Christ here on this earth? Is it to simply 'get blessed' and have plenty of wealth to where we have need of nothing. 

Not according to the Bible that I read.

There's a whole world of lost, unbelieving humanity that God wants to restore relationship with.

But we often seem to be more concerned with our bank accounts, our houses, our hobbies, or in taking vacations to exotic places, than we are over the lost souls of our co-workers, neighbors, family and friends.

Does it ever hit you...break your heart... that millions of people in this country are perishing spiritually?

I confess, it hasn't been the major area of focus for me. 

And I'm ashamed to say that I have been pretty comfortable in that warm kettle.

Lord, forgive me.

So, "Why are we here?" 

“Now all things are of God, who has reconciled us to Himself through Jesus Christ, and has given us the ministry of reconciliation, that is, that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not imputing their trespasses to them, and has committed to us the word of reconciliation. Now then, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were pleading through us: we implore you on Christ’s behalf, be reconciled to God.” (2 Corinthians 18:20)

Jesus has given us the Ministry of Reconciliation.

Paul says it's as though God is pleading to lost people through us: 

"Be reconciled to God."

The love of Christ, and the love for people should compel us to plead with people to be reconciled to God. 

Because Jesus first loved me, I should want to plead with lost souls to be reconciled to God because of my love for Him. Jesus said, 

"If a man loves Me he will keep My commandments."

What was the Great Commission that Jesus gave us?

It was not, "Go ye into all the world and make boatloads of money and build great little castles for yourselves to live in."

“All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” (Matthew 28:18-20)

Our purposeour callingis the ministry of reconciliation.

No one need perish. But they need to hear the message:

“For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.” (John 3:16)

And how will they hear the message unless someone shares it with them?

Paul said:

“For the love of Christ compels us, because we judge thus: that if One died for all, then all died; and He died for all, that those who live should live no longer for themselves, but for Him who died for them and rose again.” (2 Corinthians 5:14-15)

I've spent too many years living for myself. And today, I repent of that. 

From this day on, I want to live out the rest of my days on this earth, for Christ who died for me. 

The Love of Christ compels me.

“He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.” (Revelation 3:22)


God is Love and Love Never Fails.



No comments:

Post a Comment