Thursday, June 13, 2013

What Does God See?

“Nevertheless, when the Son of Man comes, will He really find faith on the earth?” 
(Luke 18:8)

When God, who sees everything, examines His creation, what does He see?

From 10,000 miles up, what must the comings and goings of mankind on this planet today look like? We're so frantically busy as a species; scrambling, buying, selling, building, consuming, striving, strategizing, justifying, asserting ourselves.

Man looks at the outward appearancebut God sees the heart.

What does God see when He looks at your heart?

I've been thinking alot lately about Jesus saying, 

"And when the Son of Man comes, will He really find faith on the earth?"

When Jesus comes, what will He find me doing? 

What I am doing at any given time is the outflow of what's in my heart. Jesus said, "Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." (Matthew 6:21). I've really felt compelled by the Spirit of God to examine what I have invested my heart in. Is it in myself, my interests, my own life? 

Or is it in Christ, and in the lives of others?

The Apostle Paul wrote:

“He died for all, that those who live should live no longer for themselves, but for Him who died for them and rose again.” (2 Corinthians 5:15)

It is a painful operation of the Spirit, when God begins to slowly peel away the layers of your 'self',' like the removal of dry layers of an onion. And there will be some tears shed in the process. But I find the more of those old layers that Christ removes, the more free I become in Him. The more I see Him, the less I focus on myself. But as each layer of 'me' comes off, He exposes another part of me that is not very appealing. 

Self-justification.

When I resist God's 'onion peeling' process in my life, I cause myself, and other people around me, a lot of pain and frustration. When I try to justify and cling tightly to my preferences, hobbies, and worldly things, He does not force me to give up these things. No, He just let's me hold onto them until I ultimately realize that none of these things can satisfy or fulfill me. 

Isn't it interesting, how we go to such great lengths to justify things that are not of God to ourselves and to others? Why do we, who claim to be born again by the Spirit of God, worship sensual and superficial things from a godless culture, as if these lifeless things are somehow still important to us? As if they are still part of us?

I don't get it. 

But almost all of us still do this. We cling to and seek to justify spiritually dead things that do not bring life, nor do they glorify God.

“Then Jesus said to His disciples, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me.” (Matthew 16:24)

This is so amazing about God. He doesn't force us to be His disciples and follow Him. He said, "Deny yourself."

He doesn't force us to love and worship Him. He wants real, genuine, sincere love and obedience. He wants true disciples who will love Him enough to choose to deny themselves, take up their cross and follow Him.

One of my favorite sayings of Jesus is:

“If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word.” (John 14:23)

It's all about loving Jesus, who first loved us.

He laid down His life because of His love for us and made the ultimate sacrifice on the cross. Doesn't that love just make you want to deny yourself and give your life to Him?

Jesus is the greatest Friend we ever could have and will have. And our greatest Friend said:

“Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends.” (John 15:13)

No longer do I look at the things of my life as things that I have to give up for God. I now look at anything that I have sought to hold onto as things that I get to be set free from. To deny myself of, because of my love for Jesus.

Loving Jesus is a Get to... not a got to.

How you see it... is all about your heart.


God is Love and Love Never Fails.


No comments:

Post a Comment