Friday, March 22, 2013

Look to Jesus

“Looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross.” (Hebrews 12:2)

Did you know that you are the "joy" that was set before Jesus, spoken of in Hebrews 12:2?

It's the Truth.

Jesus Christ endured the agony and shame of the Cross because of His love for you, and for me. Shouldn't that amazing truth then, compel us, in our time of greatest need, to look to Himthe Author and Finisher of our faith?

When you are suffering beyond what you think you can handle, do you look first to Jesus? Or do you reach out to other people? To other things?

Do you draw near to God in your greatest trials?

Or do you instead pull away from Him?

Today's reading from Spurgeon's "Morning and Evening" was a powerful confirmation of what I was crying out to the Lord for, early this morning, in my time of pain and suffering:


"And He went a little farther, and fell on His face, and prayed."—Matthew 26:39.  
There are several instructive features in our Savior’s prayer in His hour of trial. It was lonely prayer. He withdrew even from His three favored disciples. Believer, be much in solitary prayer, especially in times of trial. Family prayer, social prayer, prayer in the Church, will not suffice, these are very precious, but the best beaten spice will smoke in your censer in your private devotions, where no ear hears but God's.  
It was humble prayer. Luke says He knelt, but another evangelist says He "fell on His face." Where, then, must be YOUR place, you humble servant of the great Master? What dust and ashes should cover your head! Humility gives us good foot-hold in prayer. There is no hope of prevalence with God unless we abase ourselves that He may exalt us in due time.  
It was filial prayer. "Abba, Father." You will find it a stronghold in the day of trial to plead your adoption. You have no rights as a subject, you have forfeited them by your treason; but nothing can forfeit a child's right to a father's protection. Be not afraid to say, "My Father, hear my cry."  
Observe that it was persevering prayer. He prayed three times. Cease not until you prevail. Be as the importunate widow, whose continual coming earned what her first supplication could not win. Continue in prayer, and watch in the same with thanksgiving. 
Lastly, it was the prayer of resignation. "Nevertheless, not as I will, but as You will." Yield, and God yields. Let it be as God wills, and God will determine for the best. Be content to leave your prayer in His hands—who knows when to give, and how to give, and what to give, and what to withhold. 
So pleading, earnestly, importunately, yet with humility and resignation, you
shall surely prevail.”

One of the lines that touched my heart the most, and made me draw all the nearer to my Heavenly Father was:
"You will find it a stronghold in the day of trial to plead your adoption.You have no rights as a subject, you have forfeited them by your treason; but nothing can forfeit a child's right to a father's protection. Be not afraid to say, "My Father, hear my cry."
We who belong to Christ have God as our Father. And we have free access to Him 24/7. Many times in this current season of suffering, I have indeed pleaded my adoption as a son of the Lord Most High, crying out to Him in my time of need; "Abba, Father!"

“For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, “Abba, Father.” (Romans 8:15)

Nothing can forfeit a child's right to his father's protection. What a wonderful application this is of Romans 8:15. No matter what happens to me in this lifeI am safely in my Father's hand. If I am to suffer in pain for the remainder of my sojourn on this temporary planetI know that my Father is allowing it for a purpose. And if He calls my spirit home today—all the better. 

No one knows the day of their departure.

“Whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away.” (James 4:14)

I have to make the decisionthat I am going to trust the Lord, loving Him and drawing near to Him; no matter how difficult, how painful, and how inexplicable my pain and suffering may be.

This morning in my quiet prayer time, I envisioned myself in a small boat, in the middle of the night, on the sea (which, technically, is a lake) of Galilee. The wind and the waves were crashing all around me, and it looked like the boat was going to sink. But then I envisioned the Lord Jesus walking calmly toward me across the stormy waves. I said to Him; "Lord, only You have the power to calm the wind and the waves. Just speak the word, and I will be healed."

My nerve pain from my Trigeminal Neuralgia still comes and goes in my face today. But when I looked to Him; the Lord calmed the wind and the waves of my heart. He said to them, "Peace; be still." 

He gave me His peace which surpasses all understanding. 

Reach out to others you know who are going through deep watersthrough excruciating trials, and encourage them with these wordspointing them to Jesus.

No book, no website, no medication, no church organization, no other personcan calm the stormy seas of your heart when you are troubled and afraid.

Only Jesus is your very present help in time of need.

Look to Jesusthe author and the finisher of your faith.

God is Love, and Love Never Fails.

No comments:

Post a Comment