Wednesday, March 27, 2013

The Fellowship of Christ's Sufferings

“But at midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the prisoners were listening to them.” (Acts 16:25)


Imagine you had just been brutally beaten, repeatedly. Then imagine you were thrown into the worst, darkest prison possible. Your bloody arms and legs in shackles. The stench of human excrement overpowering. The wailing of fellow prisoners chills your soul. Rats everywhere. Prison guards taunting you. And for all you know, you will most likely be executed the next morning. Death by beheading.

And yet, here you are in the middle of the night singing hymns of worship to God.

Would you, in this terrifying predicament, have the wherewithalthe faithto be able to thank God and sing hymns of praise to Him in this moment?

Perhaps your 'prison' is a different kind of pain and suffering.

For some, their prison is emotional suffering. Betrayal by a spouse. Loss of a loved one. Rejection by one's family. The loss of a job with no new employment in sight.

For others, their imprisonment is pain. The pain from the loneliness and isolation of mental illness. The imprisonment of chronic physical pain from an injury or illness.

My current 'imprisonment' is physical nerve pain caused by a neurological condition that I thought was gone for good, but has recently come back with a vengeance. I would not wish this kind of pain on my worst enemy. 

I do not share this with you to try and make you feel sorry for me. My desire is to share my story, with the hope that other "prisoners" who are suffering will hear me singing hymns of praise at midnight.  

One thing I am learning to accept in my walk with the Lord, is that He allows human suffering. And although I don't really understand why He does so, at times, like this morning, He gives me little glimpses into His purpose for it.

First, I believe one reason He allows us to suffer is that we may better know Him.

“That I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings.” (Philippians 3:10)

Personally, I can better relate to a God who left the glory of Heaven, who came to earth and "became flesh" (John 1:14), who has felt my pains and infirmities, and who sympathizes with my weaknesses (Hebrews 4:15). And I praise God who allows me to suffer for His namesake, even though my puny sufferings are nothing, compared to what He suffered for my sake. I have not been nailed to a brutal Roman cross. 

Second, I believe He allows us to suffer to establish, strengthen and settle us.

“But may the God of all grace, who called us to His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after you have suffered a while, perfect, establish, strengthen, and settle you.” (1 Peter 5:10)

Nothing draws me closer to God than when I am in times of pain and suffering. When there's nothing I can do to ease my pain, and all I have is Jesus to comfort me. This relationship I have with Him by faith, settles me. He strengthens me because every time He brings me through a dark night of my soul, my faith increases and I know I can make it through the next painful trial. He establishes me in my relationship with Him, having built in me a solid foundation of trust because of His unwavering faithfulness to me.

Next, we are to rejoice in our suffering for Christ. 

When we finally see Jesus face-to-face, we will be glad with exceeding joy that we were partakers of His sufferings.

“Beloved, do not think it strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened to you; but rejoice to the extent that you partake of Christ’s sufferings, that when His glory is revealed, you may also be glad with exceeding joy.” (1 Peter 4:12-13)

Paul wrote: “For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.” (Romans 8:18)

So, even though your pain and suffering is real. It's difficult. It may be unbearable at times. If you are suffering for Christ's namesake, rejoice, for afterwards, you shall be glad with exceeding joy! 

Finally, we suffer for the consolation and salvation of others.

“Now if we are afflicted, it is for your consolation and salvation, which is effective for enduring the same sufferings which we also suffer.” (2 Corinthians 1:6)

Think of Paul and Silas singing hymns to God at midnight. Even though their situation looked hopeless, the other prisoners heard them singing praises of joy. And I believe that is what God is really showing me today. What are others who are imprisoned by some kind of suffering going to hear coming from me today?

Is it, "woe is me." Is it complaining?

No. 

What I am singing this morning is, "Thank You Lord for suffering for me on that Cross."  

Thank You Lord, for allowing me to suffer for Your namesake. And may my suffering help console and comfort others who are also suffering.

Lord, set free, all those imprisoned in their suffering.

God is Love, and Love Never Fails.

Amen.





No comments:

Post a Comment