Friday, August 26, 2016

From Isolation Comes Revelation

“I, John, both your brother and companion in the tribulation and kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was on the island that is called Patmos for the word of God and for the testimony of Jesus Christ.” (Revelation 1:9)

Isolation can be a very lonely place.

You look for deeper purpose and meaning for your life. Sometimes wondering, is this all there is?

How must the Apostle John have felt? who, in his nineties, was banished forever to the tiny Greek island of Patmos, far from civilization in the Aegean sea, charged as an enemy of the State of Rome, for spreading the Gospel and Kingdom of Jesus Christ.

I can imagine the weary, aged Apostle sitting on the rocky shore of this barren desert island, trying to catch a small fish or two, just to survive. How lonely it must have been for him, banished and exiled, miles away from his flock of fellow Christianshis "little children" as he was fond of calling them.  

John must have felt his life was over. His purpose and usefulness seemingly gone now. I would imagine he probably felt abandoned by the Lord. He was likely just counting down his days until death forever released him from exile.

But one day, out of the blue, John heard a loud, startling sound...

“I was in the Spirit on the Lord’s Day, and I heard behind me a loud voice, as of a trumpet, saying, “I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last,” and, “What you see, write in a book and send it to the seven churches which are in Asia” (Revelation 1:10-11)

John was visited by the Lord.

“And when I saw Him, I fell at His feet as dead. But He laid His right hand on me, saying to me, “Do not be afraid; I am the First and the Last. I am He who lives, and was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore. Amen.” (Revelation 1:7-18)

The Almighty God of the universe, visits His close friend John, and when John falls on his face in deathly fear, Jesus lays His hand on him to comfort him, and reassures him to not be afraid. 

Can you imagine how John must have felt in this moment. Just when life must have seemed like it was over for him, his God and Savior Jesus comes to him to comfort him, and to utilize him once more. 

Do you feel like John sometimes? Isolated, even exiled from family or friends? Perhaps you were once utilized by the Lord, but that season has seemingly ended, and you wonder what your purpose is now? Where is God in this season of my life?

David wrote some of the most amazing Psalms while he was isolated, fleeing from murderous King Saul, hiding out in caves, surviving like an animal. Moses met with God and received the Ten Commandments while he was exiled in the barren Sinai wilderness. Jeremiah wrote some of the most powerful prophecies in Scripture when he was at his lowest point, totally alone and ostracized by his own people. Paul received some amazing revelations from the Lord when he was isolated and wandering the desert of Arabia, being taught by the Lord.

I believe from all these biblical examples, that God also leads us out into our barren wilderness experiencestimes of isolationto reveal Himself to each of us; to know Him more, and to show us His purpose for our lives.

So while isolation can be incredibly painful and lonely, I am learning to embrace these times, knowing that God is drawing me closer to Himself, that I may decrease and He may increase. That I may know Him more. That I will be refined in the fires of life's tribulations by the Refiner. That I will be meet for the Master's use. That He will be glorified.

We don't know exactly how long John was in exile on Patmos before Jesus visited and gave him the Revelation. But I believe the lesson and encouragement here to each of us is to trust completely in the Lord in our times of isolation or exile, knowing He promised to never leave us or forsake us. He has a purpose for allowing us to go through our desert seasons. From isolation comes revelation. 

But He will come to us. He will take us to be with Him. He promised:

“Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me.  In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also. And where I go you know, and the way you know.”

Thomas said to Him, “Lord, we do not know where You are going, and how can we know the way?”

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.” (John 14:1-6)




God is Love and Love Never Fails.

No comments:

Post a Comment