Friday, August 19, 2016

No Greater Love

“Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends.”

Recently I was poring over hundreds of my fishing photos from the last decade, and I couldn't help but be convicted of how many hours, how much time, energy, money, resources and thought I've selfishly spent on pursuing big trout in my home rivers here in the West. Thousands of dollars. Hundreds of hours. The greater portion of my spare time.

But for what?  

A friend of mine recently wrote:

“We have one short life to live! It is easy to become very "I"-centric in our society and culture. Let's use our lives, resources, and talents to make a difference for others. It truly is better to give than receive.”

His comments confirmed in my heart something that has been stirring for the last couple of years.

Who am I living for?  For others?  Or for myself?

And I've had to come to grips with the fact that for most of my life I have been so self-focused that I haven't done nearly enough to really help others in need. Oh sure, I've done some. But it was always from my surplus...from what I could spare. But it didn't really cost me much.

My friend also wrote:

"What defines our character is how we treat those who can do nothing for us."

As I approach the 60 year milestone in my journey, I have a great desire to spend my remaining time here living to help others, in whatever ways God opens the door for me to do so, and primarily to point them to Jesus Christ, Who is the only One who can saves a man's soul.

One door that has been opened to me this week is an organization called Send Hope.  www.sendhopenow.org



These folks feed, clothe, house and care for hundreds of orphaned or abandoned children in India, many of them H.I.V. infected. We have been sponsors of three young boys beginning in 2004. I personally know the people who founded this organization and can attest that 100% of the sponsor funds go to help these children. 

The most recent need is for Nutrition Kits to feed people infected with AIDS living in the slums of India. These Community Nutrition Kits provide healthy food and supplies for children and families suffering with HIV/AIDS. Just $15 per month is life-changing! Besides feeding, housing and caring for these people, they show them the love of Jesus Christ, and teach them to know the living God before they step into eternity. There is no greater love than this.

When I recently read of this urgent need, I couldn't turn away. How could I not be moved?

We here in the West are incredibly rich compared to most of the rest of the world, particularly the Third World countries. We take for granted how blessed we are to have food, clean water, and a roof over our heads. Please prayerfully consider helping those who have no way to help themselves.

When my mom was still alive she said to me:

"I thought that when I became a Christian that I would have to give up all the things in my life that I enjoyed. But God has shown me that He has actually set me free from these things."

There's nothing wrong with spending an occasional day on the river with a friend if it's about true friendship and fellowship. But for me the days of being overly focused on the fishing are gone forever.  I mean, what are we here for in this life? To please ourselves?  I tried that for fifty years. And it doesn't bring any lasting peace or joy. There is no divine purpose involved in being self-serving.

Helping people who are most in need is a directive in the bible, and we should truly want to do so. But people's greatest need is for Jesus. The spiritual condition of the world is very dark overall. Don't just feed someone for a day, week, or year, without providing what is truly needed for their eternity: the living God, Jesus Christ.

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Jesus was not a fisherman... He is the Fisher of Men.... of men's souls.



God is Love and Love Never Fails.




No comments:

Post a Comment