Friday, January 20, 2017

God's Providence

“And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.” (Romans 8:28)

Wow...

The way God moves and orchestrates things, events, situations and outcomes leave me speechless except to just exclaim, "Wow."

Praise God.

Today my phone rang just as the Presidential inauguration was beginning. My friend John could have called an hour before, or an hour after. But for whatever reason, he called right as it began. And I must confess, I almost didn't answer the phone. For a second, I reasoned, 'I will call him right back the second the inauguration is over.' But something in me, down deep in my "knower" said answer the call. And I'm glad I did. He is my friend after all. I wanted to talk to him.

Eerie timing, to be honest.

My friend has a little girl that is currently battling cancer. As a father, I couldn't imagine a more painful trial to endure than this. Divorce, separation and adultery are also equally brutal trials to endure. But as my friend wisely said, "It's all pain." 

Everybody hurts.

Hearing his testimony, I began to rejoice in how God as our faithful Father, is bringing him and his family through this painful trial. People of the Body of Christ are reaching out, loving and serving them in unexpected ways. The hope and comfort they are experiencing are the sweet fruit of the love and grace of God.

But what really moved me, was, even in the hour of his painful trial, my friend reached out to me...to see how I was doing. I recently experienced a heart attack/stroke scare and he was checking up on me to see if I was okay. (And I am fine now).

This is how God causes all things to work together for good for all those of us who love Him and are called according to His purpose.

God's Providence.

"God will make a way, when there seems to be no way. He works in ways we cannot see, He will make a way for me."

Over the course of my life as a Christ follower, I have gone through a lot of trials and adversity. And my propensity as a human being is to tend to get so caught up in my own circumstances, that I miss seeing the bigger picture. 

Spiritually, we need to be intentional about getting 30,000 feet up, and try to see things on this earth, in our own lives, from a heavenly perspective.

Why is God allowing us to go through this deep water? What could possibly be the purpose in allowing a little girl to endure cancer?

I don't know all the answers to those questions. But I do know God promised to work all things together for good. For our good. And for His good and His divine purposes.

Awhile back my same friend asked me to be the speaker at an upcoming men's ministry event. Share my story. I was humbled. What an honor. So I said I would pray about it. Seemed like an obvious answer to some prayers I've made over the last year or so.

But as I sought the Lord and His will and wisdom on this invite, I was not getting the go-ahead to do it. I wasn't getting God's peace in my heart that this was what 'He' wanted me to do. I didn't rush to a decision, and continued to seek the Lord about it. But I never got the green light from Him.

So I eventually communicated to a brother in that ministry that I was not going to be able to be their speaker. But I have to tell you, that the moment after letting them know I could not do it, I had a tangible peace and joy that I did the right thing. Made the right choice. As I drove down the road I turned on the Christian radio station that I normally listen to, and one of the regular pastors who does a weekly bible study on the air was talking about, (of all things), doing what God calls us to do in church ministry, but don't do what He is not calling us to do. He said, "If you signed up for something that you know God hasn't called you to do, un-signing up is easy. That's why God created erasers." As I heard this I smiled and began to laugh and I thanked God for giving me such a clear confirmation that I had heard His counsel on the situation, and had made the right decision by Him. I got some serious Holy Spirit goose bumps.

This is how God's sovereignty and providence is revealed and manifested. In simple ways of hearing and obeying God's still small voice that speaks to our hearts, and then He confirms it, oftentimes in unexpected, miraculous ways, the way He did with me that day.

So who is God calling to be the speaker at that men's ministry event?  He will reveal it, in His time. 

A few years ago, another friend named John asked me to be an usher at our church. It was never anything I felt called to do. But I genuinely wanted to serve and help out in any way I could. So I agreed to do it. After several weeks, I felt like a fish out of water. I'm a people person. But as I reached out to greet people as they came into the church, many times it seemed as though they looked right through me. It was weird. For whatever reason, I wasn't connecting. I talked to my friend about it and let him know, this simply wasn't for me. It just wasn't a fit.  He graciously thanked me for giving it a try. Then he said something to me that I will never forget. He said:

"Mark, if you are doing something God has not called you to do, you are actually taking the place of someone who God is calling to do it."

This was a pivotal moment in my walk with God.

Learning to first ask Him if something is His will or not. Then, patiently seeking confirmation and waiting on Him for an answer to my prayers.

So why was the timing of my friends call right as the presidential inauguration started, eerie? I believe God was showing and reminding me, all our hope and trust is in Him alone. No man or administration can save a nation. Especially not our horrifically divided, broken, and sinful nation.

I've learned in my life that nothing that happens to me is just a coincidence.

The bible says, “The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord, and He delights in his way.” (Psalm 37:23)

Before God spoke the creation, the universe, the air, the sea, the world, and man into existence, He knew my friend John and I would be having this conversation today. He knew we would meet for coffee a few months ago and share our stories and our hearts for God, for our families, and for serving men in need of God's grace and healing.

God's providence.

Please pray for God's healing, comfort, peace and joy, for my friend's little girl and for their family.

https://www.facebook.com/Hope-for-Addie-1817761471832378/?pnref=story

And may God reveal His amazing love and His will for you today, as you seek His face and listen for His gentle whisper in your heart.

Jesus said,

“Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.” (Matthew 11:28-30)


God is Love and Love Never Fails.


No comments:

Post a Comment