Sunday, June 17, 2012

The Blessing of Pain


How on earth can pain possibly be a blessing?

Over this last weekthough I certainly didn't ask for itI have been quite "blessed" to find out.

One way that pain can be a blessing is that it quickly gives you much more compassion for other people who are suffering. If you know people who are suffering through a painful, debilitating diseaseit helps you to relate with those people, with whom you couldn't really relate in the past. I find myself praying more for the people I know who are going through extremely difficult times, or suffering with a horrible disease, and offering them words of encouragement whenever possible. It truly brings home the scripture that says, "Weep with those who weep." (See Romans 12:15) The purpose of God allowing us to suffer through pain becomes a bit clearer when viewed through this perspectivethat it is so we will be more compassionate, as Christ was compassionate. And who suffered more than Jesus that day on the Cross?



Pain is also a blessing in that it draws your true friends around you when you're going through a difficult, painful time. This last week, I have received an outpouring of prayer, love, support and encouragement from friends, family, and people that I don't even know. Just when I think I couldn't possibly get any more blessed, another friend calls or stops by, and blesses me to tears with their love and friendship.  I keep telling my wife, "George Bailey here!"  


Whenever I watch the classic movie; "It's a Wonderful Life", the scene pictured above, where all of George's many friends, and then his dear brother, come to his rescue in his greatest time of need, always brings me to tears. And this has been my own "wonderful life" lately.  I even recently put a picture of George and Mary Bailey as my avatar photo on my Facebook page. In a closing scene from the movie, George's guardian angel, Clarence, leaves him a note in a book he gave him that says: "Dear George, remember, no man is a failure who has friends." I too, feel like I am the "richest man in town" because I have been so blessed with a wonderful wife and children, and with true friends who stick closer than a brother. (See Proverbs 18:24)

Another way that pain is a blessing, is that it helps you to love more deeply, and with a sense of urgency.  What do I mean by that? I mean that when experiencing the kind of painful attack that I had last week, I was instantly faced with my own mortality.  "Am I going to survive this?" was certainly a thought that was swirling through my pain-wracked head. When you don't know if you are going to live another day or not, you instantly re-evaluate your priorities in that desperate moment. I couldn't wait to get back home to Boise from Pocatello, and hug and kiss my wife, and tell her how much I love her, and how much she means to me. I couldn't wait to talk to my children, and to my friends. In that scary moment, nothing else mattered. Not my job, nor my finances, nor when my next fishing trip was going to be. 

I just needed to to get back home.

Lastly, but by far most importantpain canif you let itdraw you closer to God.  

On Monday afternoon when I was walking into the store in Pocatello and I had my seizure, I did not hesitate, in fear and trembling, to desperately cry out to God: "Jesus, You have to help me! Jesus, You have to help me!" And after I was released from the emergency room, I have never talked to God more than I did that night driving back to the hotel, and in my lonely room in Pocatello, Idaho. The entire long drive back to Boise the next morning was a time of talking to my Heavenly Fatheroffering up my life to Him, asking Him to be glorified in itcome what may.



This painful new chapter in my life truly has increased my faith.  It truly has drawn me closer to God, and to those whom I love.  It truly has given me much more compassion for those who are suffering and in need.

And as counter-intuitive as it sounds, I am extremely thankful to God for allowing this painful trial and strange neurological condition to pop into my life. 

And not just "in spite of"but because of the painit truly is a wonderful life.

Thank You to my compassionate God and Savior Jesus, and may all the glory be to Himwho never stops loving me, and who calls all those of us who are weary, and with heavy burdens that we cannot possibly carry, to come to Him, and He will give us rest (Matthew 11:28):

"Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."

God is Love, and Love Never Fails.


No comments:

Post a Comment