Thursday, July 5, 2018

The Ripple Effect

“And He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature." 
(Mark 16:15)


The Ripple Effect:

“The continuing and spreading results of an event or action.”

It's been my observation over almost sixty years that people rarely consider fully, the consequences of their actions and choices.

A couple of years ago a high school kid from our community was busted for drug dealing on a scale never before seen in this area. He had several employees working for him in what turned out to be a multi-million dollar operation. He's now serving a well deserved ten year sentence in a federal prison. 

I've read a few comments by people who know him, including one person who said, "I am sorry that this has happened to him." 

Like he's the victim here?

What about the hundreds, possibly thousands of lives that have been destroyed by this incredibly selfish criminal? What about all those people who are now Oxycodone and/or heroin addicts, who have lost virtually everything; their jobs, their income, their homes, their families, some even their very lives? I don't hear anyone who knew this kid saying how sorry they feel for all his victimsfor an entire community that will be affected by this criminal for many years to come. The consequences of his crimes and selfishness are more far-reaching than he could have ever imagined. God can save and forgive even the most notorious drug dealer. But the long term damage to this community has been done.

The divorce epidemic is out of control today. People are throwing away their spouses like yesterday's garbage. Tearing their families apart. Some divorces are sadly unavoidable. But most are not. People simply do not want to forgive each other. Selfishness reigns in this self absorbed culture. And people have no idea how far-reaching the effects of divorce are on their children. They have no way of seeing twenty to thirty years into their child's future, and see how emotionally scarred their children will become from the toxic fallout of their parents divorce. I can speak from experience on this topic.

On the positive side I see the ripple effect of my late Mother's love for God and for people. She shared the love and Gospel of Jesus with me when I didn't think I needed it and didn't want to hear it. She prayed for me for many years until I surrendered my broken heart and life to Jesus. She risked my anger by loving me enough to point me to the only answer to my shattered marriage and broken soul. She loved me unconditionally when I wasn't being very lovable.

“The continuing and spreading results of an event or action.”

Two thousand years ago the humble Son of God named Jesus came to take away the sins of the world by allowing Himself to be brutally nailed to a Roman cross, taking the guilt and shame of all sin upon Himself. He paid for my sin crimes against God by giving His life that day for meand for that drug dealerand for you. 

Will you believe that? 

That "God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Without the life-changing, soul saving, heart transforming love and grace of God, my marriage would never have been saved. I would still be a bitter, unhappy man. I would still be lost and dead in my sins. I would still be without hope. I would still be utterly broken and ashamed. 

But God reaches down and offers all men the free gift of salvation in Himself. Often times, when we least expect it. Or want it.

If you're reading this message, He is reaching down to you today, offering you eternal life in Himself. He is the way, the truth, and the life, and no one can come to God the Father except through Him.

Will you let him?

Will you invite Him in?



God is Love and Love Never Fails.





No comments:

Post a Comment