Sunday, September 22, 2013

Draw Near

"Draw near to God and He will draw near to you." (James 4:8)

The older I get, the harder it is to be the man I once wasthe man I know I'm supposed to be.

Not so much physically. But mentally, emotionally. 

I'm just weary of doing life. 

The toil, struggles, battles, disappointments, and continual challenges of living in this twisted, fallen world, in a fallen body, wears you down... all the while, the flesh warring against the spirit. 

"The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak" (Mark 14:38).

The struggles of this life have a way of eroding your confidence. Not my confidence in God's faithfulness. But my confidence in me being able to persevere. I have absolutely no clue what's going to happen tomorrow. My neurological condition that sidelined me for months, but has been managed through taking the right prescription medication, is now showing signs of making a comeback. Increased stress seems to trigger it. 

I don't know about you, but a stress-free life is not something I've ever experienced.

When I was in my 30's, life was quite a bit more carefree. I had no real health issues. Physically, I felt pretty darn  invincible. The economy was rocking, and financially, life was pretty good. Certainly, my life was far from perfect, but my confidence level of being physically able to work hard and be a good provider was pretty solid. I never thought I would end up being one of those aging people forced into living a lifestyle of having to rely on medications to keep a serious medical condition at bay.

I'm pretty sure many of you in your 50's or older can relate to what I'm saying.

A few years ago I was going through a particularly difficult struggle, and in my desperation I cried out to God; "Lord, why do you leave us in this weak, sinful condition, when You could change us in an instant?" Almost audibly, He spoke to my heart: 

"So you'll stay close to Me."

And even more so, as I age and face new struggles and challenges in my human weakness, failures and desperation, that is still the answerso that I will stay close to Him.

That I will draw near to Him.

One of the passages of scripture that I quote most often and that I personally default to, is Jesus saying:

"Without Me you can do nothing." (John 15:5)

Today, more than ever, I am painfully aware of that profound Truth.

Can you relate?

God saying, "Draw near to Me and I will draw near to you" is more than just a friendly invitation. It's a mandate. It's an absolute necessity on our part. Spiritually, mentally, emotionally; it's life or death.

It's a command from God because He knows just how desperately we need Him.

Do you know just how desperately you need God?

Then be obedient. Believe Jesus when He said, "Without Me you can do nothing."

“I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing.” (John 15:5)

Life is in Jesus. He is the true vinethe only source of life and peace. Apart from Him, we are lifeless, withered branches.

This is life or death.

Draw near to God and He will draw near to you.


God is Love and Love Never Fails.




No comments:

Post a Comment