Tuesday, August 6, 2013

The Waiting...

"See how the farmer waits for the land to yield its valuable crop, patiently waiting for the autumn and spring rains."  (James 5:7)

We don't wait well.

That's always been one of my greatest strugglesthe waitingnot knowing what's going to happen, or, when it will happen. 

For me, if I understand "why" I must wait, then I can usually make some sense of my long periods of having to do so.  But when I am struggling to understand the "why" it is extremely painful for me when I must try to just be patientand wait.

Author Tommy Tenney wrote: 

"We're into microwavingbut God's into marinating."

We're an instant gratification society.

We grumble when there are two cars ahead of us in the drive-thru line at our favorite coffee shop or burger joint.  The 'One-hour-photo' is just not fast enough.  Sixty seconds of waiting at a red light kills us.  And having to wait a few seconds for our internet browser to open?forget about it!

We want what we want, and we want it right now.

So why are we so doggone impatient?

May I suggest it's because we don't fully trust God to manage our lives. We want to be in control of everything.  And coming to the painful realization that we are ultimately in control of nothing, can be a rude awakening indeed.

In the next verse, James gives us the answer: 

"You also be patient. Establish your hearts, for the coming of the Lord is at hand."

That's the answer:  "establish your heart."

"How can I do that?" you ask.

You have to settle in your heart and in your mind, by the gift of faith that God has given you as a believer, that God is sovereignthat He is in controlof all things.  That God is faithful.

Nothing can happen in this life unless God either allows it to happen, or He directly causes it to happen.

Nothing.

You must stand on the truth that God really does cause all things to work together  for our good, for those of us who love Him and are called according to His purpose. (See Romans 8:28)

Do you truly believe that?  

Sometimes, I think I believe that, but it's little more than an intellectual understanding of the passage.  But this is a Promise from God our Father. 

In your times of trying to make sense of what is happening in your life, if you don't really believe God will keep His promises to you, like me, you need to pray, "Lord, help my unbelief."

We either believe that God is faithfulor we don't. 

And lately, my actions and attitudes have been those of a person who doesn't fully trust God to manage my life. 

That's what faith istrusting fully in the Lordno matter what.

Lordhelp my unbelief.

The writer of Hebrews states that faith is having certain hope for what we cannot see.

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."  (Heb 11:1).

Paul also writes in Romans:

"For we were saved in this hope, but hope that is seen is not hope; for why does one still hope for what he sees?  But if we hope for what we do not see, we eagerly wait for it with perseverance." (Rom 8:24-25)

Faith settles in our hearts that God is faithful.  He has brought us this far and has helped us get through things that we didn't think we could ever endure.  Faith is assured that God will keep His promises, and even though we cannot see the outcome in our long seasons of waitingGod sees and knows the end from the beginning. 

And I either choose to believe thator I don't.

The endurance and perseverance that we need to patiently wait for what God has promised can only come from Him.  And we can only receive that strength to the extent that we draw close to Jesus and cling tightly to Himfully trusting in Him because He is faithful.

Because He is God.

God is Love, and Love Never Fails.



No comments:

Post a Comment