Friday, December 30, 2011

Where Your Treasure Is


"Wow...a shooting star!"

I hadn't seen one of those in a very long time.  And somehow, I don't believe my seeing that shooting star was any ol' garden variety 'coincidence.' 

As I lay there, wide awake at 2:30 in the morning, worrying about finances and the minutiae of work-related stuff, I was getting more ticked-off by the minute that I couldn't sleep because I was allowing myself to get so worried over these superficial things.

When that bright shooting star caught my full attention, I instantly forgot all about those burdensome things.  And then the Still Small Voice impressed upon my heart that I had taken my focus off of the bigger picture because I was so wrapped up in needlessly worrying about temporary things that will not matter in eternity.

It's all about perspective.

"For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Jesus

In that stark, quiet moment when the still small whisper calmed my heart, I was reminded that this planet we inhabit is merely a microscopic speck of dust in a vast universe, and the temporary things of this earth are soon passing away.  I have a greater purpose in this short life than worrying about superficial minutiae that I have little, to no control over anyway. 

What's really going to matter in eternity?

I can tell you truly, that anything that can be burned up in a fire, will not matter to us one whit, when we step into our eternal destination.

The purpose of this life is to point people to the Way, the Truth and the Lifethe Great Light who shines in the darkness, and the darkness comprehended it not.  To love and comfort people with the same love and comfort that I have been comforted with.  To give praise, thanks and glory to the One who saved that which was unworthy to be saved.

I once was lost, but now am found. Was blind, but now, I see.

So many times in the throes of the suffering of this life, I have been comforted by these God-breathed words from a wise old sage:

"For I suppose that the sufferings of this life are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us." Paul

A stunning, beautiful, glorious moment awaits all those who have surrendered their hearts and souls to the One who is Mighty to Save.  When we finally see Christ face-to-face, all darkness, pain, suffering, loneliness, sorrow, sickness and death will fade away, once-and-for-all, forever.

In the meantime, set your heart on the eternal things, and on the Eternal One. And then love like you have never loved.  Forgive like you have never forgiven.  Show mercy like you have never shown mercy.  Give like you have never given.

And trust like you have never trusted.

If Christ is your Treasure, there your heart will be also.

It's all about a relationship with Jesus.

     —Blessings to you today, in Christ.

God is Love, and Love Never Fails.

No comments:

Post a Comment