Friday, August 26, 2011

Walk In Wisdom

"When wisdom enters your heart and knowledge is pleasant to your soul, 
discretion will preserve you;  understanding will keep you..." 
(Proverbs 2:10-11)

Have you ever made a decision to do something and then something previously unknown to you is revealed, that makes it very clear that you made an unwise or uninformed decision?

This has happened to me quite a bit over the years.  

What we do once we have received that kind of revelation is most important.

The part that says, "Discretion will preserve you" really speaks to me today. 

When I look at the above photo of the rattlesnake I think of my favorite fishing spotwell known for it's thriving population of rattlers.  Many a time I have walked down an obscure, brushy trail to the river and felt a subtle sense of "don't go that direction."  The specific path I had intended to take was quickly revised due to applying discretion.

Consequently, after dozens of fishing trips to my favorite river, I have never seen or stepped on a rattlesnake.  Some of my friends have reported seeing several snakes in one day.  I like my record better.

What decisions have you made in your life, from which you now get a sense that you may have chosen the wrong path?  

When wisdom enters your heart, discretion will preserve you.

Proverbs 2 also states (verses 1-8):

"My son, if you receive my words, and treasure my commands within you, so that you incline your ear to wisdom, and apply your heart to understanding; yes, if you cry out for discernment, and lift up your voice for understanding, if you seek her as silver, and search for her as for hidden treasures; then you will understand the fear of the LORD, and find the knowledge of God. For the LORD gives wisdom; from His mouth come knowledge and understanding; He stores up sound wisdom for the upright; He is a shield to those who walk uprightly; He guards the paths of justice, and preserves the way of His saints."

For the follower of Christ, God's Word says the Father gives wisdom liberally to those who ask Him for it.

As the proverb says, IF you incline your ear to wisdom, and if you apply your heart to understanding; crying out for discernment, asking for understanding, seeking God's wisdom like a man would search for precious silver and hidden treasuresGod will then give you His wisdom and knowledge on that which you seek.

In my life, I have at times failed to use discretion and I walked when I should have waited.   At other times, I waited when I should have walked.  The point is, I didn't take enough time to incline my ear to wisdom, and apply my heart to understanding; crying out for discernment, asking God for understanding.

In Proverbs 3 the writer tells us:

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths."

If we will take the time to really apply our hearts to understanding the wisdom that God gives, the decisions we make with discretion will bear good fruit.

Fortunately, God's grace is ever-present whenever we make an unwise or uninformed decision.  Whenever I haved leaned on my own understanding, God, who is faithful, has always shown me the error of my ways.  Then He picks me up where I have fallen down, dusts me off, and lovingly points me in the right direction. 

I'm so thankful He does not angrily chew me out and call me an idiot. He is never disgusted with me. He disciplines me when I need it, but He always does so in love.

Whenever I step onto the trail heading down to one of my favorite fishing spots, I always ask God for wisdom and discernment to see rattlesnakes, and for His protection from them. He has never let me down. 

God has never failed me.

The lesson I've learned again today is that I need to consistently ask God for His wisdom and understanding, in every area of my lifebe it work, education, realtionships, family, parenting or marriage. 

Truly, trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.

Discretion will preserve you.

God will guard your path.



God is Love, and Love Never Fails.


1 comment:

  1. Mark. Thanks for sharing that nugget. I can hear these things a million times and still be moved and corrected.
    It is very comforting to know the King waits for us to ask Him for His leading. Also that He actually answers in the way that is best for you and I.
    Thanks brother. Blessings to you and Mary.

    ReplyDelete