Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Almost Home



Coming home from a long trip, it's always that last 39 miles that seem the longest.

But, we've been down this road before. We know the way. 

Almost home. 

When you're 500 miles out, you don't usually see any road signs telling how far it is to your destination.  But as you get closer, a sign appears every so often.  And the closer you get, the signs begin to show up more frequently.  Then as you get really close, the signs start to appear every couple of miles. You're almost home.

In the race of life, when you first jump off the starting blocks, you come out sprinting like a race horse.  You don't feel like anything could ever slow you down.  Even though the finish line is far off in the distance, you plan to win and get there first.  You reach for the prize.  Nothing's going to stop you. The idea that you may have to crawl across the finish line is an insult to you.

But as I continue to run this raceday after week, after month, after year, I am painfully aware that I am in fact slowing down.  Some days I get very weary.  I know I'm not alone in feeling like throwing in the towel at times when things are at their worst. But quitting is simply not an option. 

The prize is far too grand. 

So, I run the race.  And I'll keep running at whatever pace I am empowered to run.

If you feel like quitting todaythrowing in the towel; don't give up.  You're not in this alone.

You've come all this way.   The end is in sight.  The finish line is just ahead.   Don't quit.  

You still have a little strength left. 

Jesus gives the following encouragement to His people in the last days:

"See, I have set before you an open door, and no one can shut it; for you have a little strength, have kept My word, and have not denied My name. Because you have kept My command to persevere, I also will keep you from the hour of trial which shall come upon the whole world, to test those who dwell on the earth.  Behold,  I am coming quickly!  Hold fast what you have, that no one may take your crown." (Rev 3:8-11)

We will finish the race together.  That was predetermined long ago, before the world was.  It's a done deal.

And whether we crawl across the finish line like a broken down retired race horse, or sprinting to the tape like a young champion, we will finish the race, together.

We have been commanded to persevere.  And with the command comes empowerment.  Power to persevere and endure.  Power that comes in, that is from outside of ourselves and is greater than we are.

Power to finish the race.

The One who opens doors that no man can shut has set an open door before us, and our destiny is to enter in through that open door.

So don't give up, you will make it.  Just don't quit... the prize is far too grand.


We're almost home.


God is Love and Love Never Fails.





No comments:

Post a Comment