Saturday, October 23, 2010

Don't Give Up

















Photo ©Mark Faulkner 2010


Feel like giving up?

Please don't.

Because, if you are reading this, that is living proof that even though you have gone through some dark valleys, painful suffering and difficult seasons, you are still here, able to read this message.  You survived! 

And whether you are willing to acknowledge it or not, God is the one who has delivered you through these tough times.

David the Psalmist really speaks to the longing in my heart today from the 23rd Psalm:

"The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.
 He makes me lie down in green pastures,
       He leads me beside quiet waters,

 He restores my soul.
       He guides me in paths of righteousness
       for His name's sake.

 Even though I walk
       through the valley of the shadow of death,
       I will fear no evil,
       for You are with me;
       Your rod and Your staff,
       they comfort me.

 You prepare a table before me
       in the presence of my enemies.
       You anoint my head with oil;
       my cup overflows.

 Surely goodness and love will follow me
       all the days of my life,
       and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever."


For me, spending quiet times along a meandering river provides me much opportunity to reflect on my life and what God has done to restore my soul. 

The constant flow of a river is a picture of the constant flow of God's presence and blessing in my life.  And the fact is, that what is in the past is water under the bridge, and a never-ending supply of water continues to flow, bringing times of refreshing, and washing away yesterdays sorrows and failures.

My encouragement to you today as a follower of Christ, is that He has shown Himself to be faithful to you, and has brought you through the fire to this very day. He has given you strength, patience and endurance to weather the storms of this life. And the experience of the suffering He has brought you through, gives hope that you can make it through the storm you are currently enduring.

The Apostle Paul wrote:

"We rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out His love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom He has given us."  (Romans 5:3-5)

As followers of Christ, our hope is secure, because our hope is in Him and not in ourselves.  And our suffering is only temporary.  When we step into eternity this life will fade from view.  Our short time here on earth is but a blink of an eye compared to eternity.  So don't give uplook up!  When we focus on Christ instead of the storms of this life we will not sink in the waves of despair. 

One of the most encouraging passages from the Bible for me has been Romans 8:18:

"For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us."

Our light affliction is only for a moment.

Glory awaits.

Draw near to Jesus and hold on to Him.  He has brought you through until this very moment and will continue to do so.

Don't give up.


God is Love and Love Never Fails.



No comments:

Post a Comment